The Twig is the Junior Auxiliary of Inova Alexandria Hospital–an organization of women dedicated to providing financial aid, volunteer service, and support to Alexandria Hospital–itself originally established by volunteers. In 1933, a group of twenty-four young women gathered at the home of Mrs. Julian T. Burke to form the Junior Auxiliary of the Alexandria Hospital. They took the name “The Twig” from a contest entry by Mrs. Nellie Sommers Blackwell; this described the new organization as a small branch of the “tree” which supported the hospital. In 1997, Alexandria Hospital joined the Inova Health Group to maintain a community based non-profit service. The Twig and Inova Alexandria Hospital both have grown along with the city of Alexandria. Throughout the years, the Twig has remained true to the goals of its charter members by helping the hospital provide the highest quality medical service. Today’s members carry on that tradition of community support, having raised over $3.6 million for hospital programs and equipment. In June 2010, the Twig accepted its biggest challenge to date when it pledged $1 million towards the construction of The Twig Surgical Center, featuring 24 single patient rooms dedicated to the care of post-surgical patients. The Twig is a non-profit, 501 (c)(3) organization. For additional information on our financial status, email [email protected] The Twig Thrift Shop, located in Old Town Alexandria at 106 N. Columbus Street, specializes in quality clothing and accessories for Women, Men and Teens, as well as items for the home.