Visit Alexandria promotes Alexandria, Virginia as a premier destination for leisure tourism and groups. Visit Alexandria is a leading-edge destination marketing organization (DMO) with a results-driven culture that encourages creativity, innovation, agility and passion.
We are accepting applications for the following positions.
- Destination Sales Manager
- Meetings Support Specialist
Find details below.
POSITION SUMMARY: Destination Sales Manager
The Destination Sales Manager will take ownership of a designated market segment, capturing group meetings by soliciting, sourcing, and closing leads for Alexandria. This will be achieved by soliciting existing and new industry relationships and implementing traditional and non-traditional sales techniques, including direct sales, marketing, and social media.
Join a dynamic team representing one of the top three “Best Small Cities in the U.S.” according to the Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards. You will find a friendly office culture marked by high energy, creativity, and positivity. The office is Metro-accessible (King Street Metro on the Blue and Yellow lines) and bike friendly. Salary commensurate with experience; annual bonus potential; excellent health, dental and vision benefits; up to 12% 401(k) match after 1 year of employment; paid transit or parking; and vacation. Employees are currently working 2 to 3 days from home.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop business and manage accounts in the following markets: Government, Domestic Tour & Travel, and Educational/Religious/Fraternal (SMERF).
- Cultivate relationships with customers, hotel partners and other meeting-centric members to assure complete satisfaction with Alexandria as a destination.
- Generate new leads and bookings including qualifying the business, finding dates, (entering, changing, and releasing) and issue the lead through our database (Simpleview CRM).
- Follow up on leads by collecting hotel availability, coordinating site visits, issue service requests and provide liaison assistance to the client.
- Organize sales trips, face to face appointments, presentations, tradeshows, and client events.
- Sell Alexandria to meeting planners across multiple channels including traditional, digital, social media, telephone, in-person and in tradeshows and conferences.
- Maintain account records including documenting appointments, activities, importing documents and overall account management in database.
- Collaborate with member hotels’ sales teams, exchanging information to better understand their needs and to inform them of client needs.
- Complete a call report prior to and after every sales meeting.
- Track and report personal sales results.
- Be an active member of market-related industry organizations.
- Produce accurate expense reports monthly.
- Other duties may be assigned.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. degree or equivalent with a minimum of two years of sales hospitality experience.
- Knowledge and passion for Alexandria and sales tourism.
- Goal-oriented with prior history of achieving measurable sales goals.
- Service-oriented in building relationships and managing accounts.
- Strong communication skills (oral, written, and technical).
- Quick learner of database/CRM system and efficient daily use to manage and track accounts
- Team player committed to fostering strong working relationships with external and internal stakeholders.
- Intuitive, innovative, and self-directed.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Able to adjust schedule to work some evenings and weekends.
- Position incorporates a hybrid blend of in-office, remote and client-specific days.
If you are someone who is local to the DMV area, positive, intuitive and seeking a sales position where you can make a difference, please forward resumé, cover letter and salary requirements to [email protected] with “Destination Sales Manager” in the subject line.
POSITION SUMMARY: Meetings Support Specialist
Visit Alexandria seeks a creative and energetic Meetings Support Specialist to work alongside the Meetings sales team to deliver programs that attract meetings and group travel. As a key member of the team, the specialist manages the wedding/social event inquiries and provides administrative support to the team on corporate, government and association meetings. The ideal candidate will be an organized self-starter with a passion for service.
Join a dynamic team representing one of the top three “Best Small Cities in the U.S.” according to the Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards. You will find a friendly office culture marked by high energy, creativity, and positivity. The office is Metro-accessible (King Street Metro on the Blue and Yellow lines) and bike friendly. Salary commensurate with experience; annual bonus potential; excellent health, dental and vision benefits; up to 12% 401(k) match after 1 year of employment; paid transit or parking; and vacation and sick time. Employees are currently working 2 to 3 days from home.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to:)
Meetings Support & Sales
- Cultivate and manage wedding, reunions, and social market by responding to leads, identifying prospects, building relationships with social event-centric members, and following through the sales cycle to close the leads to support hotels, restaurants, and unique event venues.
- Support VP of Sales on International, Tour and Travel sales market leads and client events
- Provide principle administrative support for sales team, including client events, account management system, updating sales report and event calendars, mailing and shipping, managing gift inventory
- Administer sales leads including qualifying, processing, distribution and tentative lead follow-up and closing leads.
- Prepare special reports, forms, data entry and management of client events/list.
- Create printed materials and reports utilizing Visit Alexandria software such as Simpleview CRM, Cvent, Canva, MailChimp, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of the destination including the infrastructure (airports, conference venues, hotels, etc.), attractions (museums, activities, restaurants, etc.), nontangible assets (industry sectors, accolades, etc.) and overall market landscape
- Maintain awareness of industry trends, current events and competing cities through industry organizations, trade publications/newsletters/articles, webinars, and professional social media such as LinkedIn.
- Provide insightful solutions and collaboration with internal team(s), members, and industry partners to elevate the team and organization
Prospect Cultivation & Travel
- Coordinate travel and follow-through for industry conferences including data input for contacts and appointment notes
- Coordinate familiarization trip (FAM) itineraries and site inspection requests including the solicitation of support from hotels and members; arrange logistics; prepare materials; accompany the guests as appropriate
- Coordinate member/partner meetings
- Conduct market research with the aim of finding potential Alexandria bid opportunities, preparing bid briefs, assisting with outreach, and maintaining an up-to-date tracking system
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. degree or prior experience in similar capacity. Experience in the events and tourism industry a plus.
- Organized self-starter—able to prioritize tasks
- Flexible thinker—adaptable and intellectually curious
- Strong communication skills (oral, written, technical and phone/email etiquette)
- Team player who loves to foster strong relationships and meet external and internal stakeholder needs
- Strong sense of urgency and comfort in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Able to adjust schedule to work some evenings and weekends
- Knowledge and passion for Alexandria and tourism
- Be able to work independently in a remote office setting with flexibility for client meetings, events.
- Position incorporates a hybrid blend of in-office and remote
Please forward resumé,cover letter and salary requirements to [email protected] with “Meetings Support Specialist” in the subject line.